CT Advocates Push $600M Pre-K Endowment Amid Budget Deficit

Early childhood education advocates rallied at the CT State Capitol urging Gov. Lamont to fund the Universal PreK Endowment despite a projected deficit.

· · 3 min read

Connecticut preschool advocates showed up at the Connecticut State Capitol Wednesday with a clear demand: put $600 million into the Universal PreK Endowment now, deficit or no deficit.

The problem is there’s a deficit. Comptroller Sean Scanlon last week projected a $6 million shortfall for the current fiscal year, driven by climbing Medicaid costs, rising fringe benefit expenses, and corporation tax receipts that came in below expectations. On its own, $6 million is barely a rounding error against the $27.2 billion General Fund. But the mechanics of how Connecticut funds its pre-K endowment make even a small deficit a serious obstacle. Gov. Ned Lamont and the legislature agreed last June that endowment deposits would come from operating surpluses. No surplus means the spigot shuts.

“We’re calling for the governor and legislative leadership to either adjust the volatility cap or address several of the potential sources of progressive revenue to create a surplus to fund the endowment this year with a $600 million deposit,” said Merrill Gay, Executive Director of the Early Childhood Alliance, at the Capitol press conference.

That’s the ask. $600 M, not a dollar less.

Gay said the size of that figure isn’t arbitrary. Global economic instability, U.S. tensions with Iran, and expected federal funding cuts all threaten programs that serve young children. A serious endowment, advocates argue, gives the Office of Early Childhood the runway to plan across multiple budget years, stabilize providers, and prevent the whipsaw funding patterns that have plagued the sector for decades. The Universal PreK Endowment was built to do a lot: expand slots for low-income kids, raise wages for early childhood workers, fund educator scholarships, and pay for physical infrastructure. It got its first deposit of $300 million in 2025, pulled from what was then a surplus. That launch was widely seen as a smart policy move, a rare case of Connecticut actually setting aside real money for a sector it had long treated as an afterthought.

Now it’s 2026, and the follow-through is in question.

Here’s the wrinkle that will sound familiar to anyone who has followed Connecticut budget politics for more than a season. The state doesn’t have an operating surplus this year. But it does have a separate savings mechanism that captures a slice of volatile income and business tax receipts outside the traditional budget structure. That fund is projected to hold roughly $1.8 billion this fiscal year. That’s six times the $300 million that seeded the endowment in 2025 and three times the $600 million advocates want deposited right now.

The catch? That money isn’t sitting around waiting to be spent. It’s specifically designated to rebuild reserves and reduce Connecticut’s pension debt, which still tops $33 billion according to the governor’s budget office. Redirecting any portion of it to pre-K would require the legislature to rewrite the rules governing the volatility cap, something that’s been done before but doesn’t come without political cost. Fiscal conservatives in both parties treat that reserve fund as essentially sacred, a bulwark against the state’s long history of borrowing from itself to paper over deficits.

Lamont hasn’t publicly committed to the $600 million deposit or signaled whether he’d support changing the cap. His office didn’t offer comment Wednesday. The governor has generally been supportive of the endowment concept but has also been careful about making spending promises in a shaky revenue environment. Global trade uncertainty and the Iran situation have unsettled financial markets, and Connecticut’s income tax receipts are unusually sensitive to Wall Street volatility given the concentration of high earners along the Gold Coast.

Advocates, for their part, don’t seem inclined to let this die quietly. Wednesday’s Capitol rally was covered by CT Mirror, and Gay’s coalition has been methodical about keeping legislative pressure up since the 2025 deposit was made. The $200 million gap between what the fund received and what they’re asking for now isn’t a negotiating cushion. They want the full amount.

The legislature has until June to sort this out.

Written by

Connecticut Navigator Staff

Editorial Staff